9 Reasons why Riga should be your next L&D destination
Did you know we have a language school in Riga? Liden & Denz may have started off in St Petersburg over 20 years ago, but since then we have expanded east and west to Moscow, Irkutsk, and the Latvian capital of Riga. The rich history of the Russian language goes far past the borders of the Russian Federation, so here are 9 reasons why you should consider a Russian language course in Riga this year.
- No visa for EU citizens! One of the most time and money-consuming prep actions before coming to Russia is getting your visa. This can often cost in excess of $100, especially when you include travel costs to wherever your Russian embassy is located. You sometimes have to give a lot of personal details, and even fingerprints, which, whilst worthwhile if your heart is set on Russia, can be avoided by choosing Riga as your destination! EU citizens enjoy visa-free travel and study in Latvia, and entry is pretty simple for most nationalities.
- More relaxed laws for foreigners. No need to register where you live, or keep track of an immigration paper, and you don’t have to worry about getting a single or multiple entry visa. If you come from a European country, it’s likely that you’ll need to keep track of less paperwork, and laws will be more similar to your home country.
- A good stepping stone to Russia. If you’re not feeling like diving headfirst into Moscow or St Petersburg, our Riga school is a great stepping stone between cultures, where you can get a real mix of Russo-European life.
- Beautiful capital city. Riga is a UNESCO World Heritage Site, which means that you’re surrounded by beautiful old-world charm. Riga has preserved a lot of its original medieval outlines, and also has one of the best selections of art nouveau buildings in Europe.
- See how Russian is used in an international context. Russian is probably not your native tongue, so it’s likely there will always be an international context to your use of Russian. Riga is a fascinating example of how Russian is still used by a large part of the population, but is not the official language. Here, you’ll be able to see how Russian works in the context of other European languages!
- A fusion of cuisines. Sometimes described as a crossroads between Eastern Europe and Scandinavia, Latvia has some tasty national dishes, such as rasol (a rich potato salad), beetroot soup (similar to borscht), and their own take on pelmeni. Explore the city to find unique restaurants and cafes, many of which are open way past midnight to satisfy late-night cravings.
- A wide selection of activities. Riga can be explored on foot, by bike, or even by canal boat! Spend a morning walking round traditional markets, or take a day trip to one of the many castles and palaces nearby the capital. You’ll never be bored for long in Riga!
- The cost of living. Riga is a very affordable city to live in. A pint of local beer comes in at under $3, and a non-student city transport pass is about $50/month. Even better, European students won’t have to exchange money, as Latvia is part of the Eurozone. Make sure to explore to find student deals and local eateries to get the best experience possible.
- And, of course, our fabulous language school! Our Riga campus is fully equipped with 10 classrooms that can accommodate up to 90 students. We have a wide range of nationalities and ages, so you’re sure to meet someone interesting. You will also have access to a computer room, a self study area, a thorough library and fast, free Wi-Fi. The computer room is available daily (Monday – Friday) from 12.30 to 17.30. In our cosy student lounge, you can relax and enjoy a hot cup of available coffee or tea. There’s even a beach within walking distance, which is beautiful in the winter, and a great place to relax in the summer.
So what are you waiting for? Whether it’s your first time coming to a Russian-speaking country, or you’re trying to get a full house on Liden & Denz language school campuses, why not consider Riga as your next destination? Check out some photography from a previous Riga student if you need more convincing!
Full details on our Riga courses can be found here.